Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

the pursuit of favorites: lovely confections

march 8, 2011

one goal i have is to find a delicious cupcake place. it gets double props if it's also a coffee place. i know, it is pretty obvious that i am trying to replace cuppies and joe. i know i will miss cuppies a lot and would like to have a place similar to it in my life once i move.

the first cupcake place we tried is called lovely confections. it is an organic bakery near downtown denver that has a delicious selection of cupcakes. it is also another find from the colorado local first neighborhood guides. we decided to try three different cupcakes: strawberries and cream, the bees knees and the salted caramel chocolate. each of them were decorated beautifully and had a delicious amount of frosting on top (my favorite part!). handsome and i tried a few bites of each and then revealed our rankings to each other. it was no surprise that we both ranked them the same way!

1. strawberries and cream: it had the most amazing rich flavor i feel like i have ever tasted. it was pretty much like having a strawberry daiquiri in my mouth. absolute deliciousness! some people may not like the large amount of frosting, but i thought it was perfect!

2. the bees knees: a lavender cake with honey lemon buttercream. i really liked how the flavor was not overpowering. it allowed me to eat more of it without being overwhelmed by the flavor. i really liked the honey and lemon taste of the frosting. it was very fresh and very delicious! it was also a very unique cupcake that i have never tasted before. yum!

3. salted caramel chocolate: this cupcake came out as the definite number three for both of us. i was not in much of a mood for chocolate and caramel after eating the fruitier cupcakes. it was also not as good as the boom boom pow cupcake that can be found at cuppies and joe. maybe that is a hard standard to live up to since it is my favorite ever, but i cant help it. if i went back, this cupcake would not be on my list. it just seemed a bit lacking in the caramel area. good chocolate, but not a very good caramel taste.

the main drawback of lovely confections is the atmosphere. it does not give off a very relaxed vibe that makes me want to hang out and enjoy a cupcake with some coffee or hot chocolate. the cupcakes were even given to us in a to go box. however, if your looking for some grab and go cupcakes this is your place! 

overall, i would definitely go back to lovely confections. especially for the strawberries and cream cupcake. delish!


love.

3 comments:

lean, green and crafty said...

I definitely do not think those cupcakes have too much frosting! My fave part too!

Laura said...

you guys are so cute! i love watching you discover favorites in Denver! I can't wait for you to take me to them one day! haha

Lili living... said...

I love the taste of lavender! There's this town in france that I visited that had lavender lollipops and I completely fell in love with them! I think that would be my favorite...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...